Reviewing Your Flat Roof
In a past article we talked about the importance of checking your shingle roof. But many Tucson roofs are flat roofs and have different issues that need to be monitored. Flat roofs have a pitch of less than 15 degrees. The expected life span of a flat roof varies greatly dependent on the materials used. Choosing a reputable Tucson roofing contractor will ensure that your flat roof will last for it’s expected life span.
Here are a few tips to remember it your Tucson home has a flat roof.
1. Regular cleaning – Since flat roofs have little or no pitch, it’s important that debris such as leaves and dirt not be allowed to accumulate on the roof. Ideally, a leaf blower is the best option to remove debris, since walking on the roof can cause damage.
2. Cleaning gutters, drains and scuppers – A frequent cause of water damage to a flat roof is debris blocking drains that block water from draining. A small amount of leaves can clogged a downspout . Regularly cleaning drains and gutters is one of the best preventative measures you can take.
3. Clear Overhanging Trees – Not only do tree limbs that are allowed to hang over a flat roof drop debris that can block drains, but they can also bang against your roof, potentially damaging the roof coating. In high wind condition, limbs can also break off causing damage.
4. Check for Cracks & Punctures – A small crack, left unattended, can turn into a larger crack. Early treatment of small cracks is far cheaper than letting damage grow into larger problems that require more serious treatment.
5. Recoating A Flat Roof Every 5 – 10 years – The intense Arizona sun’s ultraviolet rays are brutal on roofs, breaking down the protective coating. Applying a new protective coating can help extend the life of the roof itself.
Preventative maintenance is always cheaper that damage control. Make it a habit to check your flat room in the spring and fall, as well as following any large, monsoon storms.
With over 30 years experience, Tucson Roofing Contractors Crest Contracting, Roofing Division, is locally owned, licensed, bonded and insured. We pride ourselves on doing the best job possible, the first time around.